Module 3: Disability Rights Laws (1 hour, 30 minutes)
This module provides an overview of the major disability rights laws and their relationship to the Fair Housing Act. It imparts to participants critical information regarding the application of multiple accessibility standards, as well as special issues involved in access requirements.
What is Covered?
- Detailed history and coverage of key laws addressing disability rights and accessibility, including the Fair Housing Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Architectural Barriers Act, and more
- Relationship of other disability rights laws to the Fair Housing Act
Who Should Attend?
- Anyone with an interest in the disability rights laws
- Developers and Builders
- Disability and Housing Advocates
- Enforcement Officials
- Property Owners and Managers
How Will You Benefit? You will:
- Gain an understanding of the key laws that protect people with disabilities and who is covered by those laws
- Expand your knowledge of the standard or standards for accessibility that have been adopted for each law
- Develop an awareness of the concepts of reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications and their relationship to accessibility
- Maximize your understanding of the application of multiple standards to the same property
- Obtain resources to aid you in compliance
Rights Laws (PDF, 6162K) (Adobe Acrobat Reader Required)